[Buddha-l] Re: it's not about belief

curt curt at cola.iges.org
Wed Jan 4 09:10:12 MST 2006

Richard P. Hayes wrote:

>Mr Steinmetz, I suggest that you give up your attempts to turn
>Christianity into a uniquely savage enemy of reason. It is a savage
>enemy of reason, to be sure, but (to paraphrase your hero, Bob Dylan)
>"in this it is not so unique." One can find examples of savagery of
>equal magnitude anywhere where one can find human beings.

Actually I think this area is wide open for research. Since 9/11 there
has been a greatly increased interest in questions relating to Religious
tolerance and intolerance. Past research by western historians and
Religion scholars had mostly focused on the interactions of Judaism,
Christianity and Classical Paganism (and most of that research has been
pretty shallow, IMO) - since 9/11 the scope of interest has broadened
only slightly to include Islam. I think that too much focus on so-called
"Abrahamic" Religions results in an extremely problematic sample bias.
Scholars with expertise in Asian, especially East Asian (the further
away from Europe and the Middle East, the better) Religions can provide
some much needed perspective. There are probably lots of journal
articles, thesis topics and books just sitting there waiting to be
researched and written.

For instance. Buddhism, Taoism and Confucianism have co-existed (not
without conflict) in East Asia for centuries. In Japan and Korea this
co-existence also includes the ancient "indigenous" Religions of those
peoples, which are still thriving today. This suggests that, to put it
diplomatically, in East Asia there has been a different kind of dynamic
with respect to the relationship of competing major Religions with each
other - compared to what has happened in the parts of the world where
Christianity and Islam have had their way. Why is it that in some cases
one Religion has come to dominate more or less completely, leaving, at
best, only marginalized minority Religions here and there - whereas in
other cases multiple Religions have been able to "share", over prolonged
periods of time, significant amounts of support from the general
population, governments and intellectuals and artists? In order to even
ask that question, however, one first has to recognize that this
difference exists and is significant.

Questions regarding Religious intolerance, violence and coercion are
obviously contentious - but I think they are just as obviously
important. There is an analogy with current events: is it possible to
distinguish isolated cases of "prisoner abuse" by a "few bad apples", on
the one hand, and a systematic policy of torture and egregious
violations of human rights by high government officials, on the other
hand? Making such a distinction is quite important - just as I think its
important to distinguish between isolated cases of Religious intolerance
and "systemic" intolerance.

- Curt