[Buddha-l] Buddhist Plays?

Peter D. Junger junger at samsara.law.cwru.edu
Mon Jan 2 13:36:58 MST 2006

Michael Wright writes:

: A Buddhist acquaintance in New Zealand suggests that
: she and I might undertake an anthology of Buddhist
: plays.   She was basing this thought on the relatively
: recent volume called NIXON UNDER THE BODHI TREE, which
: is a collection of stories that relate in some way to
: Buddhism (the collection is introduced by the
: marvelous Charles Johnson, who's on this list and the
: friend who aimed me at it).  I've gathered a few
: titles from another list I belong to (dramaturgs) and
: wondered if anyone here might have a suggestion or two
: as well.
:
: Criteria: plays which either directly address
: Buddhism, the Dharma, the Buddha, or related topics,
: so long as Buddhism is in some way foregrounded.  One
: playwright offered a play about Jesus in which the
: influences of Buddhism and Islam are explored; I
: turned it down because Buddhism was not the central
: topic.   I suppose we're limited to contemporary plays
: as well, though if there are older works that would be
: theatrically engaging to modern readers we would
: consider them.  The works should be in English, though
: translations are welcome; doesn't matter if they're
: previously produced or published.

It might help others if you were to list the works that you
have already found that meet your criteria.  I know that
I would be interested in seeing them.

By the way, the Google search "Buddha theatre" turns up quite a
few items, some of which may be relevant to your project.

--
Peter D. Junger--Case Western Reserve University Law School--Cleveland, OH
 EMAIL: junger at samsara.law.cwru.edu    URL:  http://samsara.law.cwru.edu