[Buddha-l] Reference

Bradley Clough bclough at aucegypt.edu
Mon Feb 13 03:49:09 MST 2006

Just to add to Lance's references, this looks to me like it was taken
from, or at least based upon, the Vessantara Jataka, in which the
bodhisattva, in his penultimate rebirth as a prince, famously displays
his perfection of dana by giving away not just his material
possessions, but his wife and children too!

Brad Clough

The American University in Cairo
bclough at aucegypt.edu