Fw: [Buddha-l] Causality and Western philosophy

jkirk jkirk at spro.net
Sun Feb 12 15:03:47 MST 2006

Hello Bob

Glad my thought resonated----your point well-taken.
I see the significance for conversations between western and Indian
philosophies not only in terms of dukkha, but more so in terms of anatman
(anatta) and western concepts of essence, which seem to have occupied many a
western philosopher. If P-S, then no essence. As I recall, the western
linguistic philosophers exposed the notion of essence (and we could perhaps
say, of nama-rupa by extension) as a function of language operations, and
more power to them.  But traditional western preoccupations with metaphysics
as a result of the impact of Christianity and the soul concept on centuries
of scholars led to essentialism of all kinds (of course in his own way Plato
subscribed to it as well, but differently from the Christians), a
development that finally began to be deconstructed in late 19th c European
thought. (This is just a nutshell statement.) That development is what led
some Buddhist scholars in recent years to notice resemblances between
Najarjuna et al and Derrida et al. But since the deconstructionist activity
seems to have been mostly situated within literary philosophy, that might be
the reason why Ram Prasad seems not to have become aware of this angle of
vision on his question. (All this off the top of my head but, I hope, not
off the wall :)

As for psychology studies, to the degree that psychology is often presented
in terms of essentialist concepts, or concepts that are often taken that way
(e.g., to name just some obvious ones -- id, ego, superego, or "the"
unconscious), seems to me that a good critique from Buddhist philosophy
might be a
worthwhile stimulus for class discussions.

Best,
Joanna K.