Fw: [Buddha-l] Philosophy East & West

Erik Hoogcarspel jehms at xs4all.nl
Sun Feb 12 14:08:19 MST 2006

jkirk schreef:

> What a stimulating comparative article Ram Prasad has written.
> Responding on
> the spur to one of his concluding remarks:
>
> "It may be that terms from non-western traditions will also become
> keys of
> analysis in a future global tradition of thought,..."
>
> This strikes me as a creative idea in that I, at least, have never
> come across the
> Buddhist concept of pratitya samutpada in any of the western
> philosophy that
> I've read -- but I admit I've only read some of them.  Taking up that
> concept and the discourse surrounding it might supply a rich and
> innovative
> point from which to develop the potential of philosophical
> conversation between
> the European traditions and the Indian ones, in the formal contexts
> that I think
> Ram Prasad refers to.  P-S is not a typical "western" philosophical
> notion--I've
> always found it to be quite unique in providing a really different
> slant on questions
> of reality (or Reality).

Hi Joanna,
good to read from you. The other day I heard myself say during a
conversation that P-S was not unlike the Kantian transcendental
analysis. I'm not convinced yet, but I feel somehow that a comparison
could be useful. Maybe once when I have enough time I 'll start to read
Kant again.

--

Erik

www.xs4all.nl/~jehms