Fw: [Buddha-l] Philosophy East & West

jkirk jkirk at spro.net
Sun Feb 12 12:56:19 MST 2006

What a stimulating comparative article Ram Prasad has written. Responding on
the spur to one of his concluding remarks:

"It may be that terms from non-western traditions will also become keys of
analysis in a future global tradition of thought,..."

This strikes me as a creative idea in that I, at least, have never come
across the
Buddhist concept of pratitya samutpada in any of the western philosophy that
I've read -- but I admit I've only read some of them.  Taking up that
concept and the discourse surrounding it might supply a rich and innovative
point from which to develop the potential of philosophical conversation
between
the European traditions and the Indian ones, in the formal contexts that I
think
Ram Prasad refers to.  P-S is not a typical "western" philosophical
notion--I've
always found it to be quite unique in providing a really different slant on
questions
of reality (or Reality).

Best wishes
Joanna K.