[Buddha-l] Re: Buddhism and blasphemy

Jim Peavler jmp at peavler.org
Wed Feb 8 09:22:41 MST 2006

On Feb 8, 2006, at 8:25 AM, Benito Carral wrote:

>    It  all  depends  on  the kind of joke. But when the
> laugh   is   always   at   the   expense  of  the  same
> underrepresented  group,  I  don't  tend  to  join  the
> chorus.

Underrepresented? You are talking about the most powerful political
organization (or any other kind of organization) in the world, fer
crissake!!

They completely control the government of the US of A -- Congress,
the Senate, the Executive Branch, the Justice Department, the
Department of Energy, the euphemistically named Department of
Defense, the Supreme Court, the oil industry, and on and on. They
have defied every international organization  or movement from the
Kyoto Accord to the Geneva Convention. They have told Europe, the
Middle East, the United Nations, Africa, etc. etc. to go to hell and
bombed the hell out of a couple of sovereign nations unprovoked and
killed tens of thousands of people who couldn't have hurt this
country seriously if they really wanted to (excepting the handful of
criminals who HAVE hurt the US, but we aren't doing very well at
rounding them up. Even the 11 we managed to catch and put in jail in
Yemen escaped last week and are at large again.)

But, all humankind deserves our compassion, and it is exemplary that
you have compassion (as do I) for the poor miserable Republicans who
have been so seriously wounded by some few miscreants on Buddha-l!

Ah, but, I blaspheme!