[Buddha-l] Why some messages bounce

Richard P. Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Tue Feb 7 12:27:08 MST 2006

On Tue, 2006-02-07 at 11:56 -0500, Hugo wrote:

> This mail is sent via Gmail and I believe there is no HTML.

You're right. There is none.

> By default Gmail sends plain-text, but if you click on "Rich
> formatting" you get colors and stuff  similar to HTML.

Thanks, Hugo. That is helpful information.

Most e-mail programs have address books that the user to specify whether
an addressee prefers plain text or formatted text (or rich text). The
latter options allows colors, font size changes, font family changes,
italics, bold and so on. That is all achieved by adding HTML code.

May I suggest that if your e-mail program allows this kind of control,
you put an entry in your address book for buddha-l and click the box
that says "Recipient prefers plain text" (or uncheck the box that says
"Wants to receive HTML text" as the case may be.)

> For more questions about composing messages in Gmail:
> https://mail.google.com/support/bin/topic.py?topic=1526

Ah, the old RTFM command. (It stands for Read The F Manual---I forget
what the F stands for. Forgotten? Fishing? Forensic?)

--
Richard Hayes
Department of Philosophy