[Buddha-l] Buddhism and blasphemy

Joy Vriens joy.vriens at nerim.net
Tue Feb 7 00:25:56 MST 2006

Richard P. Hayes wrote:

> Freedom of speech strikes me as so fundamental to the running of a
> society that has chosen to be democratic (as opposed to be compelled or
> pressured from the outside to adopt democracy) that I am willing to put
> up with a lot of things that I personally find deeply offensive (such as
> the Superbowl, most video games, about 80% of commercial films and about
> 75% of what goes on in the name of organized religion).

Exactly, and I feel that freedom of speech/"blasphemy" is the only means
to shake off the pressure to conform (or to put up with it), which you
rightly call deeply offensive. Blasphemy and iconoclasm can be
therapeutic in that aspect, especially in the context of organized
religion. If those who are shocked by blasphemy could also consider it
under that Saturnalian light, some of them would probably be less
shocked, except if they attribute an almost absolute power to the *act*
of "blasphemy" itself. Freedom usually is expressed and has its limits
searched in art, in the largest sens of the word. The freedom is often
allowed within the limits of art. But then art confronts the world with
it. Some Buddhist works like the Teaching of Vimalakirti and some
tantras I also see as attempts to exorcise, to shake off the rigidity
that the approach of organized religion can have. For works like the
life and teachings of Drukpa Kunlay I hardly see any other reason. I
actually see the whole Buddhist enterprise as an attempt to exorcise, to
shake off the spells that limit our mind (forgetting for the moment the
possibility that the mind can limit us).

> The violence we are seeing with increasing regularity is disturbing and
> saddening, whether we are talking about Bush's claim that his decision
> to put in motion the invasion of Iraq was sanctioned by God, or the
> reactions of offended Muslims in Europe. This is far from saying I have
> any idea what to do about it. I don't. I think we have come to a point
> where increasing violence, like the environmental degradation of our
> planet, is almost inevitable.

Greed breeds violence and we have been living in a time where greed (in
various forms such as advertising, competition, the virtue of winning
etc.) is very present and less criticized than in the past where it
still was considered a sin. But I am probably more hopeful than you. I
feel People start to see the drawbacks of such approach and turn to
religion or religious values, or at least they feel something of that
order is lacking. It doesn't have to be religion, anything that doesn't
consider greed as the axis of the world would do. On the other hand
isn't that what religion is about?

Joy