[Buddha-l] Ethics at work

Erik Hoogcarspel jehms at xs4all.nl
Mon Feb 6 04:19:38 MST 2006

Mike Austin schreef:

> Hi folks,
>
> I am curious to know how you would act in my work situation, or what
> you would consider before coming to a decision.
>
> I work with civil aircraft, developing methods and tools for
> determining the strength of structures. These methods are equally
> valid for civil or military aircraft. A military variant of an
> existing civil aircraft will be developed shortly. It is a tanker
> variant that will provide in-flight refuelling for other aircraft -
> mostly offensive military aircraft.  The team working on this requires
> explanations of the methods and tools that have been used so far so
> they can extend the analysis for the variant. I was told with short
> notice that I would be needed to make a presentation to them and that
> all the arrangements had been made beforehand.
>
> I decided that I do not wish to support this project but, as my boss
> was not aware of my objections, I will give this initial presentation
> and no more support.
>
> I support a military transport variant because, as a replacement for
> the Hercules transport, it will be able to provide relief wherever
> there are disasters.  It is thus not necessarily supporting any
> military activity. It was pointed out that the tanker would provide
> fuel for the long range activity of the transport aircraft. I judge
> this to be an infrequent and unlikely use and not, in itself, a
> justification the tanker.
>
> These decisions are very difficult to make. Wherever one draws the
> line, it can be challenged.  Although I do not expect anyone to make
> decisions for me, I would be interested to know the criteria they
> would use.

Hi Mike,
this is difficult indeed. To begin with, if I were you I would find out
what the nature is of my objections to the project: the principle, the
consequences or the loss of virtue. Do I feel myself a pacifist who
refuses to have any business with the army, do I want to prevent
violence and war, or is it part of my lifestyle as a Buddhist to refrain
from bad livelihood?
If it's the principle I would try to get a picture of all the principles
and values involved and make a list of priorities. If I would be
concerned about the consequences I would try to make a list of possible
strategies and estimate what the consequences could be and then choose
the best strategy. If it's about the virtues I would try to decide which
situation would give me the best opportunity to develop my virtues.
I think the communicational aspect may be more important than the
practical. I suppose that you can be replaced, so you cannot stop the
project and the consequences of you dropping out are limited. The fact
however that someone has second thoughts about the project may have more
influence and make people think again about the war. So if you refuse
it's important that you use every opportunity make clear what you think
about it and why.
--

Strength and wisdom

Erik