[Buddha-l] Buddhism and blasphemy

Richard P. Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Sun Feb 5 16:46:57 MST 2006

On Sun, 2006-02-05 at 17:45 +0100, Jørn Borup wrote:

> I am sure you Americans are used to the situation from different parts
> of the world, but is it strange a quite worrying to be a Dane seeing
> one's flag and embassies being burnt and listening to death and bomb
> threats

Yes, it is worrying to all of us too see what is going on at Danish
consulates and embassies. (In the USA we are used to seeing the flag
burned; half the time we ourselves are lighting the match. But it is a
powerful symbolic gesture and no doubt as disturbing as it is meant to
be.)

> It does, however, make you wonder about the differences of religions,
> and personally I am quite happy to study and teach Buddhism.

This incident reminds me of a conference of Buddhists I was attending in
1987. It came to our attention that a popular magazine had just
published a cartoon of the Buddha fondling his erect penis, with the
caption "Now we know why he has that smile on his face." A lot of
Buddhists were quite offended by it, of course, and we had a long
discussion of what to do about it. The final decision was to do nothing.
Just let it pass. The reasoning was that getting all upset would betray
our Buddhist values of being patient with everyone, and especially with
fools.

I feel very sad about these events, and my heartfelt sympathy goes to
you folks in Denmark and other parts of Europe (and Canada, I hear) who
are experiencing the effects of all the anger that has been stirred up.
Would that the world could regain its sense of humor. Until then, we
have a wonderful opportunity to cultivate patience.

--
Richard