[Buddha-l] Dependent arising variants

Joy Vriens joy.vriens at nerim.net
Fri Feb 3 06:49:18 MST 2006

L.S. Cousins wrote:

> I don't know that I would go so far as to argue that the standard 12
> link version was necessarily dominant from the beginning (although it
> might have been). I do think that the Buddha (or whoever) is likely to
> have put forward both the explanation based upon ignorance and that
> based upon craving, just as he taught solutions to these based upon
> insight and calm. That is because I think that these ideas existed as
> separate traditions in pre-Buddhist teachings.

Sorry to butt in this interesting discussion. Would you like to say more
about this? (I feel like a child again listening with red ears to the
conversation of grown-ups and whenever I hear the word pre-Buddhist my
attention triples). What pre-Buddhist traditions would that be? I am
even interested in mere intuitions and speculations...

Joy