[Buddha-l] Core teachings

Richard P. Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Wed Feb 1 09:59:00 MST 2006

On Tue, 2006-01-31 at 16:24 -0700, Jim Peavler wrote:

> Back where my mind lives, in jolly old mediaeval England, "mere"
> meant things like "absolutely pure", "totally", and things like that.

That's merely interesting. There is a Sanskrit word, maatra (mātra) that
works much the same way. It literally means "measure" and can be used
either to mean "coming up to full measure, entirely, thoroughly" or
"being no more than, only." As far as I know, the word "mere" literally
comes from Latin "merus" and has no connection to Sanskrit mātra. But
what would I know? I'm a mere Sanskritist, not a Latinologist. (Truth be
known, I'm not very mere as a Sanskritist even, being a mere dilletante
in all things.)

--
Richard