[Buddha-l] Re: Linden dollars for Buddha?

jkirk jkirk at spro.net
Sat Dec 30 22:58:27 MST 2006

Mike, would your virtual conference program also allow for participants to become invisible, or to beam themselves up or out, (as in Star Trek)? I've often wished for that while sitting bored to pieces at conferences. Could it even leave a proxy virtual person behind apparently in attendance, while the other one got to head for the bar or the flower market, or something?
Joanna

  Hi

  I think a 3D virtual reality portal for academics would work on occassion over conferences, for the reasons you delineate.  I am intrigued with the development of this kind of software, because that is part of what my job entails, working for academics at a university.

  For some reason I am beginning to imagine a society where we have a virtual 3D self and identity more or less locked in, and subject to governance, as we have in our own reality.  Not much room for fantasy there either.

  When I was in the book store today I saw a book package which was actually a set of four fold out altars to Buddhist goddesses.  This could easily be made into something digital, and transportable as an illusion-like 3D virtual altar, if it isn't already.

  Let us login.  Let us pray.  Yah, that's one for the IT guy.

  Mike