[Buddha-l] Re: Thoughts on action in 2007

John Whalen-Bridge ellwbj at nus.edu.sg
Fri Dec 29 19:03:38 MST 2006

 Singer's most famous book is "Animal Liberation" which argues for animal rights.  Not "equal rights for animals" by any means, but rights equivalent to their capacity to suffer.  He has recently written (in IHT) about philanthropy, about how much we all ought to donate, given our earnings.  He received the most death threats for his calculations about the rights of embryos, which angered both pro-life and pro-choice fanatics.  There's a scanner in the kitchen (only place it would fit) at the Center for Human Values at Princeton that was installed to check his mail for a while, lest someone send in an explosive package.     JWB