[Buddha-l] Thoughts on action in 2007

curt curt at cola.iges.org
Wed Dec 27 21:33:31 MST 2006

jkirk wrote:

> I realize that some members of this list are rampant individualists
> and hearty capitalists,

Individualism and Capitalism are mutually exclusive. Capitalism, as its
name implies, is a social system in which only money is valued - and
everything else is valued with reference to money. In such a soul-less
society individualism is merely a marketing ploy to sell carbonated
beverages.

"Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not
money, I am become as a sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal. And though
I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all
knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove
mountains, and have not money, I am nothing. And though I bestow all my
goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have
not money, it profiteth me nothing. Money suffereth long, and is kind;
money envieth not; money vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up, doth not
behave unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh
no evil; rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth; beareth
all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all
things. . . . And now abideth faith, hope, money, these three; but the
greatest of these is money."

http://whitewolf.newcastle.edu.au/words/authors/O/OrwellGeorge/prose/KeepAspidistraFlying/index.html

- Curt