[Buddha-l] Re: Political views of Buddhists

Tyler Cann tycann2000 at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Dec 21 22:45:57 MST 2006

>Milton Friedman was a truly evil man. Because of people
>like him and his buddy Pinochet I pray that there really
>is a Hell.

Umm... just because Pinochet tried to instate Friedman's
theories as policy doesn't make them 'buddies.'  Stalin's
reign does not nullify the contribution of Marx, nor does
Hitler's that of Hegel.  Yes, Friedman gave lectures at
the Catholic University of Chile during Pinochet's time, but
they did not differ widely from those he gave in other
countries, and occurred not because of Friedman's
relationship with Pinochet but rather because of a
long-standing exchange program between said university and
the U of Chicago.  Friedman only met with Pinochet once,
and then only very briefly. And yes, economists of
Friedman's 'Chicago School' did play a part in the
implementation of Pinochet's policies, but the Chicago Boys
blatantly disregarded their former mentor's prescription
for political freedom.  Friedman formally denounced the
authoritarian regime of Chile in 1975.

Say what you will about Friedman's ideas in practice, but it
seems to me that no one else had the wherewithal to rescue
the field of Economics from the train-wreck that was
Keynesianism (Great Depression anyone?) Maybe you disagree
with Friedman's quantity theory of money, even though has
shown itself to be empirically blatant.  OK, fine.  Maybe
you prefer the stranglehold fixed exchange rates hold over
economies to Friedman's floating rates.  Sure, good for
you.  Perhaps you prefer the outdated and defunct Phillips
Curve to Friedman's revision thereof.  Again, up to you.
But to call him evil because you disagree with his
theoretical efforts is a bit over-the-top.

Whether right or wrong, I highly doubt Friedman,
or any economist (except for Soros) is hell-bent on world
domination.  And even if his theory did contribute to
Pinochet's regime, I don't think that qualifies him to
wind up in the hell you so wish for.  "Mental volition,
O Bhikkhus, is what I call kamma."  The Jains were pretty
spot on with their criticism of the Buddhist reliance
on volition when they jested that, under Buddhism, he who
stabs a baby thinking it's a durian will suffer no
kammic consequences.  So, even if you are correct in that
Friedman 'stabbed the baby', I think it's fairly certain
that he thought it was a durian.

- Tyler