[Buddha-l] Iconochasms

Erik Hoogcarspel jehms at xs4all.nl
Fri Dec 15 06:27:12 MST 2006

Joy Vriens schreef:
> Buddhists have discovered music a long time ago (at least if one considers Tibetan Buddhists Buddhists and their music music.
> In my prévioius career as a Tibetan Buddhist I learned to play all the instruments of the Tibetan philharmonic orchestra.
>
> And Dan, we are waiting for your results. I would like to know what you learned from those marxist horses. ;-)

Let's be honest Joy, you wouldn't call that puja noise music, would you?
In my previous Buddhist career I visited Rumtek where the 16th Karmapa
lived and discovered that there was an underground culture of folk
music. People gathered secretely in hideaway places to listen to the
local fluteplayer and singer. Music was a no-no in this Tibetan Buddist
world, because it leads the mind away from the dharma.

--

Erik

www.xs4all.nl/~jehms
weblog http://www.volkskrantblog.nl/pub/blogs/blog.php?uid=2950