[Buddha-l] Political views of Buddhists

Jackhat1 at aol.com Jackhat1 at aol.com
Fri Dec 15 06:05:35 MST 2006

In a message dated 12/14/2006 9:32:32 P.M. Central Standard Time,
rhayes at unm.edu writes:

> The  results might tell us more about the political views of academics than
>  the political views of Buddhists.

In the United States the vast  majority of Buddhists are highly educated, and
many are academics or  writers or artists. My guess is that Asian Buddhists
would be much less  communistic-libertarian than all those who have reported
to buddha-l have  been. Hell, I don't even have to guess. I know from my own
experience that  Asian Buddhists tend to have social and political views that
make their  Western co-religionists cringe.

======
I was making the distinction between highly educated Western Buddhists who
are academics and highly educated Western Buddhists who are not. Most of  the
people on this list are academics.  I was wondering if an important  variable
affecting the test results was academia not Buddhism.

In my mind Asian Buddhists could be called Devotion Buddhists. Western
Buddhists could be split into Academic Buddhists and Meditation  Buddhists. It is
my impression that these  categories are mainly  exclusive. This is not to say
that any of these categories is the true Buddhism  or better than the others.
And, of course, there are some people who don't fit  into any one category,
for example, an Asian Buddhists who meditates and is a  academic. Each category
would have a different viewpoint on social and economic  issues.

Jack