[Buddha-l] Political views of Buddhists

Christopher Shaw cshaw at gmavt.net
Thu Dec 14 15:40:41 MST 2006

Economic 7.25
Libertarian 6.10

Chris Shaw
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: paul bennett
  To: Buddhist discussion forum
  Sent: Thursday, December 14, 2006 3:10 PM
  Subject: Re: [Buddha-l] Political views of Buddhists

  Economic Left/Right: -6.63
  Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.59
  (right smack on top of gandhi)
  And I thought I was a hardass

  Richard Hayes <rhayes at unm.edu> wrote:
    Dear comrades, er um, LURKERS:

    LURKERS of buddha-l, your assignment if you should choose to accept it, is to
    take the short political quiz at http://www.politicalcompass.org/ and to
    report your score back to the rest of us. (This will help Benito do his
    research into the political orientation of Western Buddhists.)

    My score: -8.63, -7.13 (This means I'm about 87% communist and 71% libertarian
    and therefor in the same sector as Gandhi, HHDL and Mandela, although
    consideraby more to the left than any of them. This would put me pretty
    solidly in the sector of folks that Benito sees as Buddhists in dire need of
    reform and cure, perhaps even of inquisition. My company in this sector, in
    addition o HHDL, would probably be Thich Nhat Hanh and Bhikkhu Buddhadasa.

    I'm eager as hell to hear reports of where my beloved fellow denizens reside
    on the Political Compass graph. So drop what you're doing and take the test!

    http://www.politicalcompass.org/questionnaire

  --
  Paul Bennett
  net3431 at yahoo.com