[Buddha-l] Re: Buddhist family life

curt curt at cola.iges.org
Wed Dec 13 07:49:39 MST 2006

Benito Carral wrote:
> On Monday, December 11, 2006, Jack wrote:
>

>>> marxist-oriented   Westerners   feel  attracted   by
>>>  postmodern reinterpretations of traditional Buddhism
>>>

>> If  I  remember  correctly,  you have used the phrase
>> "postmodern  reinterpretations" before.  What  do you
>> mean by it?
>>

>    Postmodern reinterpretations of traditional Buddhism
> are characterized because they project on the tradition
> the  "truth  is  a  social construction (relative)" and
> "good  and  bad  are  social  constuctions  (relative)"
> postmodern  ideals.  For  example,  they could possibly
> agree  with  Peter  Singer  that "right sexual conduct"
> could include sexual intercourse with pets.

Marxism and postmodernism are mortal enemies. Marxism lives and dies by
the metanarrative of the "class struggle". What Benito really seems to
be most concerned with is neither Marxism nor Postmodernism, but just
good old fashioned Libertinism. Now, the grand daddy of all
Postmodernists was the openly Libertine Michel Foucault. But most of the
people who today spout postmodernist jargon would probably move
nervously to the other side of the street if they ever saw Foucault
coming towards them.

Marxists can obviously no longer be blamed for much of anything anymore.
Capitalism rules supreme in the world today and Capitalism is the most
amoral ideology ever invented.

- Curt