[Buddha-l] Re: Buddhist family life

curt curt at cola.iges.org
Wed Dec 13 07:24:55 MST 2006

Richard Hayes wrote:

> Aside from a
> few Indian Buddhists in the fifth and sixth centuries, just about all
> Buddhist philosophy is anti-foundationalist; this is especially the case
> with Madhyamaka, but hardly less so of other schools.

And yet these supposedly antifoundationalist Buddhists persist in
believing in ghosts, demons, nagas, hell realms, heaven realms, out of
the body experiences, telepathy, astrology, oracular divination, Gods,
Goddesses, past life memories, etc. Not to mention Right and Wrong. Just
last week I attended the opening ceremony of a new Tendai Buddhist
Temple in the Washington DC area. It was about as postmodernist as a
Baptist prayer meeting.

I think the resemblance between postmodernism and "actual" Buddhism is
more apparent than real.

- Curt

P.S. Madhyamaka philosophy, as everyone knows, originally comes from the
Snake People who live below the earth.