[Buddha-l] Pudgalavada - Vasumitra2b

Dan Lusthaus vasubandhu at earthlink.net
Fri Dec 8 03:10:49 MST 2006

Lance and Stephen,

> You originally wrote:
> >A Buddha's cognition (jñaana ?) with regards to morality ("siila),
> >etc. is not associated (viprayukta?) with cognitive-objects
> >(vi.saya).

Lance's objections are reasonable. Hence I would still prefer to translate
this something like:

Buddha's cognition (jñana ?) is not accompanied by (asamanvagata?
asa.mgata?) morality (sila), etc.

Even this raises questions about what Paramartha is trying to suggest they
hold. Given that the pudgalavadins were said to be obsessed with vinaya,
this "release" from vinaya-type concerns being attributed to the Buddha is
curious. And one can only wonder what the "etc." is meant to suggest.

One thought that crosses my mind is that, if sila, samadhi, and prajna are
taken to be means no longer required once one has achieved the ends, then
this is just an awkward way of saying that Buddha is a"saik.sa, he no longer
needs to train.

Dan Lusthaus