[Buddha-l] Pudgalavada

L.S. Cousins selwyn at ntlworld.com
Mon Dec 4 11:57:41 MST 2006

Dan,

Various points of interest noted.

>4. I suspect the underlying term for shou in this case is something
>like upÇdhi, often taken as an equivalent for upÇdÇna (cf., e.g.,
>Sthiramati's Trimsika-bhasya). Lance's nuances (upanidhaa paññatti,
>upaadaa[ya]) are helpful, but we have no assurance that the
>pudgalavadins were using such terms in the same way that the Pali
>tradition did, especially since one of the main contentious issues
>between them revolved around different understandings of terms such
>as pudgala and prajnapti. Theravadins may have employed these terms
>in a deliberately differentiating manner from their Pudgalavadin
>usage.

But this argument cuts both ways. What assurance do we have that the
Pudgalavaadins were using these terms in the ways that we find in the
predominantly northern and north-western literature that survives in
Sanskrit and in Chinese or Tibetan translation ?

The comparison that I am thinking of here is with upaadaayaruupa
(Pali upaadaaruupa). Here the various kinds of materiality (eye,
visible object, etc.) are secondary to or dependent on the four
primary elements. I don't think there is any question of
appropriation here.

Obviously, the issue partly depends on whether I am right to think
that what we have are examples of these three kinds of prajñapti in
association with ignorance. They could also apply in other cases
without ignorance. Or, is there something in the Chinese text which
rules this out ?

Lance Cousins