[Buddha-l] Pudgalavada

L.S. Cousins selwyn at ntlworld.com
Sun Dec 3 12:06:09 MST 2006

Well, Dan and Stephen,

Thanks for letting us see this. It is very interesting to get some
further sense of the problem areas.

I do have questions ! Obviously they concern what the original text
might have meant and not how the Chinese (or later Indians for that
matter) would have taken it.

Firstly, what is prajñapti of appropriation ? Is this rendering
upaadaaya prajñapti ? Or, something more like the Pali
upaadaapaññatti ? (I assume the former is a Sanskritization of Middle
Indic forms like the latter, but it seems to acquire new meanings in
Sanskrit). I would take upaadaa(ya) as just meaning 'in relation to'
or 'in dependence upon'. The chariot is known in dependence upon the
parts. It doesn't appropriate them.

Following this line of thought, ignorance concerning derivative
concepts would be ignorance concerning any kind of
derivative/secondary concept. So the (first) text is giving an
example of a case where there is ignorance concerning secondary
concepts i.e. falsely understanding the jiiva to be in some
relationship with the aggregates rather than a derivative notion. If
you understand that it is a derivative notion, then this counteracts
the notion that beings exist.

Secondly, there is some problem with prajñapti itself here. Down to
the paracanonical literature in Pali we hardly get prajñapti in the
precise sense of 'concept'. It is used more generally in a sense like
'making known'. I tend to think that if it were used in that way here
in both these texts it would mean that these texts probably do not
pre-date the second or third century A.D.

Thirdly, I too am not very convinced by the idea of *upaayaprajñapti.
It seems worthwhile here to look at the lists of types of paññatti in
the Pali Abhidhamma Commentary. In particular here we have two sets
of six which are specifically stated to be teachers' methods, not
deriving from the <old> Commentary. This very possibly means that
they were introduced to Ceylon from elsewhere. Relevant here are:

a) relative (upanidhaa) paññatti which is used to refer to such
things as number or spatial measurement or time which are true in
relation to (lit. in comparison to) something else;

b) asa'nkhatapaññatti used for describing nibbaana;

c) continuity (santati) paññatti. This normally applies to labels
applied to the 'same' person at different times in one life, but
could presumably apply to the 'same' person across multiple lives.

A simpler version is given by the commentator Buddhadatta (who may or
may not have been a contemporary of Buddhaghosa). He divides into
three kinds of paññatti:

1. tajjaa i.e. describing a reality (this would include nibbaana);

2. derivative (upaadaa)

3. relative (upanidhaa)

This would be quite close to the list of three in our second
Pudgalavaadin text, if upanidhaa were the underlying term
corresponding to the supposed upaaya-.

In that case, the text is giving illustrations of ignorance
concerning relative or comparative terms, in this case 'past',
'present' and so on.

Well, I am not really sure how helpful this is, but it seemed worth a
try. We should note that we do not know whether Pudgalavaadin
literature was closer in its language to the Pakistani Buddhism of
the Sarvaastivaadins or the Sri Lankan Buddhism of the Theravaadins.

Lance Cousins