[Buddha-l] Saantideva (Re: Pudgalavada)

Stephen Hodge s.hodge at padmacholing.plus.com
Fri Dec 1 10:01:08 MST 2006

Joy Vriens wrote :
I still have a problem with "That which ... is nothing". The Tibetan "gar"
means "where" and can be short for "gar yang" "anywhere". With a negation
this becomes nowhere, exists nowhere, your locus. For me this is very
different from "nothing".
----
The "nothing" correctly corresponds to the Tibetan "cung-zad min" (na
ki~ncit), not "gar [med-pa]" (kvacit).  I see no problem with the
translations from Sanskrit or Tibetan that have bee offered -- though the
Guenter version misses out a line from the Tibetan and so has limited value.

Best wishes,
Stephen Hodge