[Buddha-l] Sangha model for running a country? Possible?

Piya Tan dharmafarer at gmail.com
Wed Aug 30 08:03:13 MDT 2006

I don't think the "monastic" Sangha would be any better than a democratic
system, the pre-Chinese Tibetan theocracy is such an example. Today it has
produced the likes of Trungpa (which was a chogyam, a sort of Tibetan
royalty) and Michael Roach.

Sulak I think is referring to the "seven conditions for a nation's welfare"
(D 16.1.4/2:73-76), followed by 6 other sets of the conditions for
non-decline of practitioners.

The monastic sangha is supposed to turn the Dharma wheel (practise and teach
the Dharma), while the politicians and rulers turn the wheel of power (
aa.naa,cakra).

Basically, I think the sangha system is a sort of republican (res publica)
system, very much like the early Greek democracy where the common people,
not just the rich, has a chance to speak and change things.

Piya