[Buddha-l] Mere mereness

Fools Crow foolscrow at marmotpress.org
Tue Aug 29 14:44:48 MDT 2006

On Aug 29, 2006, at 8:51 AM, Joy Vriens wrote:

> The term "mere", "core", or "essential" implies a certain criticism
> or critical attitude towards that which isn't all that and that
> could therefore be considered as extraneous or unnecessary. And if
> one comes to think of it, that which is extraneous or unnecessary
> is often the method. And somehow to "get to the mere", one needs to
> get rid of the method (it is often advised to only do so at the
> very end, but the end of what?). And actually some clever Buddhists
> have come up with the idea that since we already have the mere, why
> don't we just relax and forget about running after it and fill the
> rest of our time by taking things easy and practising hobbies like
> Buddhism etc.
>
> Joy

Actually, the Latin origin of "mere" appears to have meant something
like "undiluted".  Used precisely, in English from Middle English
until well into the last century is meant "solely" or "no more nor
better than what is specified".

So it would seem that the specification itself, not the transcending
the specification, nor descending deeper than the specification, nor
condescending or conspiring to invent a specification that is more or
less.  Perhaps the middle way is mere.

"Mere anarchy is loosed upon the earth.
The Center will not hold."
William Butler Yeats