[Buddha-l] Sangha model for running a country? Possible?

jkirk jkirk at spro.net
Tue Aug 29 15:06:10 MDT 2006

http://www.buddhistchannel.tv/index.php?id=40,3095,0,0,1,0
A Buddhist democracy
By Samten Wangchuk, Kuensel Online, August 28, 2006

Timphu, Bhutan -- As Bhutan prepares to embrace parliamentary democracy in
2008, it should be cautious about drawing models from western democracy,
says a Buddhist scholar from Thailand.

Mr. Ajarn Sulak Sivaraksa, who is a teacher, an activist and a renowned Thai
Buddhist scholar, said that he was afraid that Bhutan would use western
democracy as a model, a mistake most Asian countries like Burma, Sri Lanka
including his own country, Thailand made.
The elections, he emphasised, was one of the very negative sides from the
west. Bhutan should instead adopt the Buddhist model of democracy.
The old "sangha model", he said, which is the oldest Buddhist democracy
upholds positive actions, transforms bad habits, purifies negativity,
increases virtuous acts and encourages equality and fraternity for all.
Simplicity, modesty and harmony, he said were the key elements in the
Buddhist concept. He said that the sangha model was used to run Bhutan some
100 years ago and could still be referred to pull out positive aspects so
Bhutan could itself become a model for rest of the world.
"With the western democracy you cannot stop corruption," he said. "That is
evident in the British and American elections which are filled with it."
The advent of western modernisation in Thailand started a century ago before
it came to Bhutan, and he said that his country adopted western democracy at
the expense of Buddhism.
"That's where we went wrong as our elites embraced modernisation at the cost
of our own tradition and culture," Mr. Sulak Sivaraksa told Kuensel. "Now
our invaluable tradition and culture lives only in the form of dance and
music and not as a way of life."
Bhutan, he said, was in a very unique situation in that it remained isolated
while all its neighbouring countries went through the evils of western
modernisation, which gave the country the advantage to learn about both the
positive and negative aspects of modernisation and adopt what was good and
relevant.
"The country's policy of allowing few selected tourists is a good example of
that," said Mr. Sulak Sivaraksa, adding that while the country focussed on
learning certain things from the tourists, it in turn taught them a great
deal about values, tradition, culture and preservation of nature.
"Tourism destroys every country like mine," he said. "Our local people saw
them as wonderful modern people with great spending capacity. They then
started aping the tourists and embraced their ways of life."