[Buddha-l] Mere mereness

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Mon Aug 28 21:53:58 MDT 2006

Dear denizens of buddha-l,

Years ago I descended into the hell realms of news groups
(talk.religion.buddhism and the like) and clanged swords with all
matter of opinionated folks claiming to be Buddhists and experts in
Buddhism. Most of the regular contributors were so rude and
mean-spirited that I could only stand about three years of their
virtual company. Or maybe it was five years. I forget. All I know
is that I was much too thin-skinned for their rough manner of
discourse.

One of the regular contributors loved to dismiss everything I said
by calling my brand of Buddhism "mere Stoicism" or "mere
psychotherapy" or "mere Marxism" or "mere humanism." (Wasn't it
Wilfred Cantwell Smith, the dean of the discipline known as
comparative religion, who said that there is no quicker way
demonstrate one's own smallness than to put the adjective "mere" in
front of the name of someone else's belief?)

So what does "mere" mean? What did it mean to C.S. Lewis when he
gave his impassioned defense of Christianity the title <cite>Mere
Christianity</cite>? Lewis explains that his aim was to articulate
the essence of Christianity. He knew---for he was a man of
letters---that "mere" means "pure, complete, total." So he was
trying to get at something like a pure Christianity, a set of
beliefs and practices that were basic and primitive, perhaps the
Christianity that existed before all the scholars and exegetes and
hermeneuticists got their dirty hands on it.

Oddly enough, what Lewis was doing for Christianity comes close to
what I have spent my life doing for Buddhism. I have wanted to get
to mere Buddhism. How odd that in trying to get at that which was
fully and completely Buddha-dharma, with no admixture of anything
extraneous or unnecessary, I should come to be seen by some as
trying to advocate doctrines that I have never found satisfactory
or complete as they are---things like Marxism, for example.

What I have found in Buddhism is a form of psychotherapy that is
surpassed by none, a truly mere psychotherapy, a truly mere
humanism, a truly mere political theory, and a truly mere
philosophy. So I stand guilty as charged, but not quite in the way
my various detractors thought.

Yours in mere friendship,
Dayamati
http://home.comcast.net/~dayamati/