[Buddha-l] RE:Thread: Three Types of Feeling (Dharmachari Mahabodhi)

Michael J. Wilson michaeljameswilson at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 27 11:37:09 MDT 2006

Hi Mahabodi

  I read a lot of the first chapter and most of the last chapter.  The chapter on Imagination that refers to the Faerie was very interesting to me.  I don't know if the idea of Fairyland is Celtic or where that comes from, but the idea of meditation taking us to these kinds of lands of reverie fascinates me.  I agree there must be an element of "enchantment" that attracts one to the meditation "zone".  The meditation teacher is a king of Magi who "conjures" an environment safe for practitioners to dwell within these visual worlds. It is probably not good form to indulge in exploring these worlds too much while meditating, but my feeling is that the creation of an enhanced visual field will eventually be condusive to higher levels of awareness - the formless jhanas perhaps.  From my experience the remembrance of music has also been a vehicle for me to cushion long hours of sitting practice - again probably not good form.

  all the best

  mike j wilson  (sadag jungpo chime)

Hello. My name is Mahabodhi. I am writing a book on the
four satipatthanas called On Safe Ground. I am developing
an argument around the different types of feeling: bodily
(kayika) and mental (cetasika), worldly (samisam) and
spiritual (niramisam). I have put my book on the web at my
website at http://www.mahabodhi.org.uk where you can view