[Buddha-l] secular religion

curt curt at cola.iges.org
Sat Aug 26 17:10:06 MDT 2006

Richard Hayes wrote:
> On Friday 25 August 2006 16:57, curt wrote:
>

>> There is no doubt that secularism arose as a rejection of
>> religion, pure and simple.
>>

> That is not quite the case. As I mentioned earlier, the first
> occurrence of the word "secular" was in the Catholic church. It
> arose not as a rejection of anything, but as a way of supplementing
> what already existed and was expected to continue existing. Secular
> priests were those who took on pastoral duties. They are still so
> called. And there are many religious organizations around today who
> see a great deal of value of being secular, in the sense of being
> engaged in the world as opposed to withdrawing from the world.

OK - you've got a point there. And worse yet (for me) - the point you
are making may be especially applicable to Buddhism. I say that because
the idea of "withdrawing from the world" is more deeply embedded in
Buddhism, in my opinion, than it is in Christianity - since Christianity
did not originally have any kind of "monasticism".

- Curt