[Buddha-l] the existence of God in Buddhism

Michel Clasquin clasqm at mweb.co.za
Thu Aug 24 09:31:45 MDT 2006

curt wrote:

> The statement that Buddhism "does not allow for the existence of God" is
> certainly wrong. First of all it is worded wrongly - the question is
> whether or not Buddhism "allows for" Divine Beings. The given wording
> presupposes that one must choose between "God" singular and "no God".

Hmmm, yes, who are we to "allow" God to exist or not? "Recognise" might
have been a more fortunate turn of phrase

> But more importantly, Buddhism quite clearly does "allow for" Divine
> Beings. Specifically:
>
> (1) The traditional story of the Buddha's enlightenment involves, at
> it's climax, three main characters - two of whom are Supernatural
> entities. These are Mara the Deceiver, and the Earth Goddess. The other
> main character is, of course, the Buddha.
 >
> (2) The Buddha is also traditionally supposed to have called upon
> various Gods, such as Baka Brahma, in order to teach them.

True, true. But these gods are strictly bit players working for union
scales. The Buddha is the star of the show. The initial point of
departure of this discussion was a comparison to the Judeo-Christian
notion of divinity, and in their scriptures you may see an old
curmudgeon like Abraham arguing with God (surely Richard Hayes in a
previous birth?) but not politely inviting him over for a spot of
instruction. With God being the instructee, not the instructor.

The Buddhist "gods" are perhaps more comparable to angels in
Judaism/Christianity/Islam - long-lived and powerful, but by no means
All-powerful Creators.

> (3) One of the pivotal figures in the early spread of Buddhism was Asoka
> - whose favorite epithet for himself was "Beloved of the Gods."

Now this is a weak argument, Curt. Queen Elizabeth II may be the
Protector of the Faith even when there are more Muslims than Anglicans
in her country, and crown prince William-Alexander of the Netherlands
may be called Prince of Orange even if his family hasn't actually ruled
that French city for centuries, but both are fairly meaningless little
datapoints - semantic fossils, really. Royal epithets tend to survive
over centuries (and are eagerly snapped up without change by parvenu
dynasties like the Mauryas BTW) even when they cease to have actual meaning.

Hey, my own name derives from a Hebrew root meaning "He who is as God".
Does that mean I can't be a Buddhist anymore unless a real Buddha calls
on me to give me teaching? <g>

> (4) In both Korea and Japan (as well as many other Buddhist countries)
> Buddhist temples often include shrines to various traditional Gods.

Again, you are correct. I'm sure there will be a Buddhist centre with a
crucifix on the wall very soon. If there isn't one already.

But establishing a shrine so as not to offend the local deities (and
even more, the local authorities) does not imply going along wholesale
with all the attendant ideology. It is a bit like hanging a picture of
the current President in a public school, even if you voted for the
other guy.

The original question was whether Buddhism can be a religion if it does
not believe in GOD, the Eternal, Omnipresent, All-Powerful, All-knowing
Creator of Everything. It is a complex question, but not one that is
answered satisfactorily by pointing out that Buddhism does sort of
recognise the existence of non-eternal, localised godlings who are
neither powerful nor wise.

Michel

--
"Many people would sooner die than think; In fact, they do so."
-- Bertrand Russell