[Buddha-l] the existence of God in Buddhism

Piya Tan dharmafarer at gmail.com
Wed Aug 23 22:05:17 MDT 2006

This sort of nitty gritty I suppose is what is grist for the academic mill:
it's what get the academics paid.

For me, Buddhism smells just as sweet by any name since it brings me great
happiness and acceptance of life, realizing what a huge big ego I have and
finding ways of blowing it bigger so that it will burst.

This is also an interesting reflection on naama,ruupa: we simply need to
name something before we can relate to it.

Still, as a famous linguist once said: The name is not the thing named. or
more simpy: the word is not the thing.

Looks like the Johannine Gospel hits a brick wall here as far as linguistics
go. Evangelists in old Burma once tried smuggling Christianity into the
country by translating John 1:1 into Burmese as "In the beginning was the
Dharma, and the Dharma was with God, and the Dharma was God." Hm that's what
Buddhadasa once said too.

That's great because I foresee the next millennium, maybe sooner, when
labels stick more loosely and people look more towards the true inner
stillness of the storm's eye.

Piya