[Buddha-l] RE: Re: H.H. The Dalai Lama vs Geshe Michael Roach

Erik Hoogcarspel jehms at xs4all.nl
Wed Aug 23 13:04:32 MDT 2006

Blumenthal, James schreef:

> I don't have the bibliographic info handy, but there was a book
> published by the Library of Tibetan Works and Archives that was a
> translation of the short biographies of the 84 mahasiddhis.  That
> might an interesting place to start.  If memory serves me, I think it
> is simply called, "The Eighty-Four Mahasiddhis".
> Jim Blumenthal

Well, James if you find anything, please let us know. I just searched
the database and I only found the lifestory of Tilopa. I know the
original book you mention, it has been translated into Hindi and it has
been around for many years combined with the Tibetan text. There is a
translation of the songs of the mahaasiddhas by Per Kvearne called 'An
anthology of Buddhist Tantric Songs'.
What still puzzles me is the relation between the tantras as ritual
systems with strong brahmanic influences and the mahaasiddhas, which
were mainly errant yogis who were not so much into rituals and mainly
practised asanas and breathing techniques. Some of them didn't even care
whether they were to be called hindu or buddhist. The Tibetans merged
all the different tantras into a more or less unified ritual system. The
songs of the mahaasiddhas and those of their present successors, the
Bauls, show a strong indifference to rituals and theory. Rituals and
formal initiations are more a hobby of monks. But somehow the Tibetan
tradition has developed the ideal of combining the career of a monk and
a mahaasiddha.

Erik

www.xs4all.nl/~jehms
weblog http://www.volkskrantblog.nl/pub/blogs/blog.php?uid=2950