[Buddha-l] New breed of monks on China Mainland

jkirk jkirk at spro.net
Tue Aug 15 08:47:48 MDT 2006

> Since we are on the subject, a news report in Chinese widely circulated
> have the Vice-President of the Chinese Buddhist Federation speaking out
> against what a survey found... that 90% of Chinese monks in economically
> developed areas violate their vow on celibacy, marry and maintain a
> family. Here is a copy of the report for those who reads Chinese:
>
> http://www.kanzhongguo.com/news/gb/kanshishi/dalu/2006/0808/162114.html
>
> W.F. Wong
Hi Weng Fai,
Maybe they quietly decided to go the Japanese and or Tibetan Buddhism route,
where monks (or in the case of Tibet, lamas) can marry and have families, if
they so choose and get permission.  One wonders though how many monks is 90%
in developed areas as compared to monks in non-developed areas. It's sort of
a peculiar kind of statistical statement.
For us non-Chinese reading members, is there more infomation about the
survey and how it was conducted in the article?
Joanna