[Buddha-l] Re: Bertrand Russell

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Mon Aug 14 14:46:26 MDT 2006

On Monday 14 August 2006 11:59, Benito Carral wrote:

>    I  don't  know  how can be funny misrepresent others
> and  attack  them.

I think this may be a cultural matter. In classical India misrepresenting
others and making fun of them was what everyone did. As I mentioned before,
the Pali canon is filled with caricatures and even some fairly cruel jokes
about other people's appearance and way of talking. The Buddha himself did
it, and just about all of his opponents did it.

We moderns, of course, are much more sophisticated than those savages from
ancient India. We would never laugh at another person. We choose much more
civilized and sophisticated methods of showing our disapproval. We preach at
others, and when they don't listen, we drop bombs on them or invade their
countries with tanks.

> As far
> as  I'm  concerned,  life  is  not about having fun but
> about  having peace.

Shit fire! I didn't realize life was a multiple choice test. I've spent my
whole life being peaceful AND having fun. Now I learn that the leaders of the
Spanish Buddist Inquisition don't approve of fun. Oh dear, oh dear. What am I
to do?

> It seems that there are people who
> prefer  empty  talk  to  enjoy silence (even the shared
> one).

It seems some people can be fooled by appearances. It's the sort of thing that
happens when one has ill will, so I'm told.

>    The Old Indian Guy taught us well:

Which old Indian guy are you thinking of? Gandhi? Krishnamurti? Jinnah?

> Do  you prefer a quiet list or a idle chattering one?

Again, I find I like a little bit of both. I enjoy boisterous behavior and
pointless conversation and self-righteous botheration. I come to buddha-l for
that. But I also enjoy intelligent discussion. I go to the university or to
the Unitarian Buddhist list for that. And sometimes I like being quiet. I go
home for that.

--
Richard P. Hayes
Department of Philosophy