[Buddha-l] Bertrand Russell

Erik Hoogcarspel jehms at xs4all.nl
Mon Aug 14 10:44:49 MDT 2006

Richard Hayes schreef:

>On Monday 14 August 2006 02:12, Erik Hoogcarspel wrote:
>

>>I find your arguments very poor indeed.
>>

>Well, then, the remedy is very simple. Do not accept my conclusions.

I don´t of course but that´s irrelavant.

>>First of all your standard seems
>>to be pure amusement, which is not the standard raison d'être for
>>discussions.
>>

>It depends entirely on the person and her mood what the purpose of discussion
>is. Speaking only for myself, I have discussions for a wide variety of
>purposes. One of them is amusement. But then I'm not Dutch. I realize you
>Dutchmen are capable only of being sober and serious. That's why there are no
>Dutch comedians.

I´m sorry to be of such an inferiour brand, but using ad hominems
doesn´t make much of a dialogue.

>>Thirdly you would have to misrepresent the arguments of your
>>opponents as well, which means no dialogue but factual solepsism.
>>Do you really think you're so funny? :-)
>>

>I love to misrepresent the arguments of others, espeically if I think there is
>any chance it might get their goat. (You don't have goats in the Netherlands,
>it being a land of sheep. But "get someone's goat" is an idiom for irritating
>them. I don't give a damn whether anyone else thinks it's funny to irritate
>others. It amuses me, and that is quite enough justification for me.

Your geographical knowledge is amazing. But you fail to get to my goat.
It's interesting though, such agricultural expressions, thanks for the
explanation. For the rest you seem just rather... let´s say uninformed.

Oh, and if someone would ask you: Denmark is not the capital of the
Netherlands.

Erik

www.xs4all.nl/~jehms
weblog http://www.volkskrantblog.nl/pub/blogs/blog.php?uid=2950