[Buddha-l] Bertrand Russell

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Sun Aug 13 16:21:18 MDT 2006

On Saturday 12 August 2006 01:40, Barnaby Thieme wrote:

> re: Russel, his "History of Western Philosophy" is amusing, but
> notoriously unreliable. The philosophers he does not like are
> depicted in grotesque charicature.

There is, of course, a very long tradition in both Europe and Asia
of refuting gross caricature's of one's opponents. (It's so much
more fun than being intellectually honest) The Pali canon's
depictions of Brahmanical culture are outrageous. Nagarjuna refutes
alleged abhidharma ideas that no abhidharmika ever held. Mahayana
sutras offer caricatures of "hinayana" that are completely absurd.
There is no truth at all to the way Huineng's rival was depicted in
The Platform Sutra. Nichiren torched entire armies of straw men. My
legendary politeness prevents me from mentioning instances of
living Buddhists who have caricatured other Buddhists and followers
of other religions (especially, these days, Islam).

Take unfair caricature out of a philosopher's tool kit, and the
philosopher becomes a reliable but dull pedant (except that most
philosophers are such pee-poor scholars that they don't even
qualify as pedants).

--
Richard Hayes
Department of Philosophy