[Buddha-l] Bertrand Russell

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Fri Aug 11 10:05:43 MDT 2006

On Thursday 10 August 2006 21:27, libris wrote:

> The quote is actually from "A History of Western Philosophy"
> (1945), however, I'm not sure of the exact page:perhaps someone
> can help.

While someone is looking through that 900-page book in search of
Russell's views on Buddhism, we might want to ponder some of what
he said in "Why I am Not a Christian."

\begin{quote}
There has been a rumour in recent years to the effect that I have
become less opposed to religious orthodoxy that I formerly was.
This rumour is totally without foundation. I think all the great
religions of the world---Buddhism, Hinduism, Christianity, Islam,
and Communism---both untrue and harmful. (p. 9)
\end{quote}

In light of all the suffering religious people have been inflicting
on each other and on totally innocent by-standers around the world
in the 21st century, it would be hard to disagree with Lord Russell
on that one. But how about this one:

\begin{quote}
But what is true of Christianity is equally true of Buddhism. The
Buddha was amiable and enlightened; on his death-bed he laughed at
his disciples for supposing that he was immortal. But the Buddhist
priesthood---as it exists, for example, in Tibet---has been
obscurantist, tyrannous, and cruel in the highest degree.
(p. 29)
\end{quote}

Although Tibetan "priests" were the main focus of that broadside,
Lord Russell managed to have some scathing things to say about the
ability of Japanese Buddhists priests to think clearly and
rationally. All things considered, Buddhism does not come out
awfully well in Russell's depictions. The highest praise we find is
an acknowledgment that the Buddha was amiable and enlightened
enough to mock his own disciples.

Russell's assessment may not have been the most politely worded, and
one searches in vain for signs of political correctness. But was
Lord Russell's assessment of Lord Buddha really all that
inaccurate?

--
Richard Hayes
Department of Philosophy