[Buddha-l] Bertrand Russell

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Wed Aug 9 15:54:40 MDT 2006

On Wednesday 09 August 2006 13:28, Barnaby Thieme wrote:

> That quote comes from Russell's famous essay "Why I am Not a
> Christian", and it may be found on page 19 of the book of the
> same name.

Back in the days when I was under Russell's spell, the book you cite
almost inspired me to write a book of my own called "Why I am not a
Buddhist," but I got too lazy to list all the reasons. So I decided
instead to write messages to various Buddhist venues outlining in
some detail my views on Buddhism and let everyone else tell me why
I'm not a Buddhist.

Alas, most of the responses to my messages were so utterly foolish
and poorly reasoned that they failed to convince me that I'm not a
Buddhist, from which I can only conclude that I really am a
Buddhist after all, if only by virtue of the failure of others to
make the case that I am not.

--
Richard Hayes
Department of Philosophy