[Buddha-l] Chanda

Ngawang Dorje rahula_80 at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 3 05:11:29 MDT 2006

Hi,

  I am Pali illiterate. I hope someone can help me.

  Did the Buddha really said desire (chanda) have to be eliminated?

  From the Accestoinsight website, it says:

  (i) As one of the fetters (Sanyojana): AN 10.13
  http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/an/an10/an10.013.than.html

  (ii) As one of the obsessions (Anusaya): AN 7.11, AN 7.12
  http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/an/an07/an07.011.than.html

  (iii) As the cause of suffering and stress: SN 42.11
  http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn42/sn42.011.than.html

  (iv)~ ties down the world: SN 1.69
  http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn01/sn01.069.than.html

  (v) Why ~ and passion connected with the senses is worth abandoning: SN 27.1-8
  http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn27/sn27.001-010.than.html

  (vi) Why ~ and passion connected with the khandha (aggregates) is worth abandoning: SN 27.10
  http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn27/sn27.001-010.than.html#sn27.010

  (vi) Why ~ and passion connected with the dhatu (elements) is worth abandoning: SN 27.9
  http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn27/sn27.001-010.than.html#sn27.009

  On the other hand, I was told that chanda means  esire, a neutral term, not necessarily bad.

  Thanks,
  Rahula.