[Buddha-l] Hanging Buddhas from the Tree of Life

curt curt at cola.iges.org
Wed Aug 2 12:09:21 MDT 2006

Well - sort of. In the Hindu pantheon there are 10 Goddesses who are
called the "Dasa Mahavidyas" or the "Ten Wisdom Goddesses". At least two
of these correspond directly to Buddhist Bodhisattvas - Tara and
Cinnamasta (aka Cinnamunda). Since there are ten of these I once thought
I'd see if there was any kind of correspondence between them and the 10
Sephiroth, which it turns out there is .... maybe:

Kali - Kether
Tara - Chokhmah
Tripura Sundari - Binah
Bhuvanesvari - Chesed
Bharavi - Geburah
Cinnamasta- Tiphareth
Dhumavati - Netzach
Bagalamuki - Hod
Matangi - Yesod
Kamala - Malkuth

Simply putting them both side-by-side in their usual ordering (although
sometimes I've seen Bhairavi and Cinnamasta switched) results in this
pairing. Some of these correspondences are very nice - and all of them
make some sense. For example, Bhairavi is sometimes called "the Warrior
Goddess" - and this relates well with the Sephira associated with the
planet Mars. The first and last on both lists
(Kali-Kether/Kamala-Malkuth) are essentially identical in many of their
associations - and they also have similar relationships with each other
within their given "systems".

As is always the case with "correspondences" once you get started it's
hard to stop. I highly recommend David Kinsley's "Tantric Visions of the
Divine Feminine: The Ten Mahavidyas" and David Frawley's "Tantric Yoga
and the Wisdom Goddesses". To my knowledge I am the only person who has
ever pursued this comparison, but it's so obvious and tempting that I am
sure others have been down the same rabbit hole.

- Curt