[Buddha-l] Extraterrestrial

jkirk jkirk at spro.net
Sat Apr 29 15:00:28 MDT 2006

I'm not into Yogacara so I can't respond to your point about that, but in
general I don't see how Buddhist views would change in any way if
extraterrestrials landed. Why would they? I don't see how annata, anicca,
and dukkha would be changed or affected. How did you think they might be
affected?  what did you havein imind?

Of course, if some aliens operated on people's brains and changed their
cognitive and perceptive structures, then Buddhist views --along with a
whole lot of other views and perceptions--might disappear.
Such changes could be imagined as creating human robots who'd obey the
aliens automatically. (Sort of like some voters today who've been
brainwashed?)

Michel wrote: "Bring on the bug-eyed monsters, we'll get them sitting
cross-tentacled on black cushions quickly enough."

What a great Simpsons cartoon that idea would make.
Best, Joanna