[Buddha-l] On Dylan and Poetry

Michael Paris parisjm2004 at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 29 15:57:47 MDT 2005

--- "Richard P. Hayes" <rhayes at unm.edu> wrote:

> Although this would not come as particularly good news to a lot of
American Buddhists, I have a feeling the lifestyle of an Amish or
Mennonite or Hutterite anabaptist comes a lot closer to the lifestyle
recommended by the Buddha than does the lifestyle followed by
contemporary Buddhists (especially those of us who do such obviously
anti-nirvanic things as using computers and subscribing to "Buddhist"
e-mail discussion groups).

That may or may not be so, but such a lifestyle would not have led to
the two-edged sword that is progress. And progress does include modern
medicine, which has done more to relieve suffering than, IMHO, all the
religions and philosophies of the world.

I've yet to even begin grasp "nivana." Often asserted by authorities as
desirable (?); seems highly questionable. The pot of gold at the end of
the rainbow, perhaps?

--Michael