[Buddha-l] On Dylan and Poetry

bclough bclough at aucegypt.edu
Thu Sep 29 12:22:40 MDT 2005

Joanna wrote:

>  OK-- if he'd enjoy it so much, why hasn't he done it? Why doesn't
he get active with the revived antiwar movement?  Maybe he's too old
and rickety now to sing for Cindy Sheehan and company. If so, that I
can sympathize with.

Well actually, the "old and rickety" Dylan continues to be out on the
road, playing music ranging from older, more political stuff like
"Masters of War" and "With God on Our Side" to more recent material
from great albums like "Oh Mercy" and "Time Out of Mind" which, as
others on this list have already pointed out, eloquently address
issues like anitya and asmimana.

At age 64, he endures the rigors of the road and still plays over 100
concerts a year, invariably to sold-out crowds. No, he isn't playing
anti-war rallies, but he's still out there on the boards, reaching
lots of people on the very issues you and Richard claim he has
neglected or ignored, and for that he is deserving of tremendous
respect, I think.

Brad