[Buddha-l] On Dylan and Poetry (was "Greetings from Oviedo")

Franz Metcalf franzmetcalf at earthlink.net
Thu Sep 29 04:13:56 MDT 2005

Gang,

Great good wishes and re-bienvenidos to Benito!

But, speaking of differences with the moderator of buddha-l....

Richard wrote,

> When Dylan was reminding Americans of how they had failed to live up
> to the dreams of some of the founders of the country, he was
> unsurpassed as a lyricist. No one could dispute that. Unfortunately,
> he eventually forgot all about drawing our attention to the tragedy of
> post-war (and here I mean the American Revolution) America and
> wandered into a kind of solepsistic logorrhea that failed entirely to
> speak to the conditions of the world.

Oh, really?

When, during the first Gulf War, and Dylan played live at the Oscars or
Emmys (or some show in front of tens of millions of Americans), and he
sang "Masters of War," was he out of touch with conditions, or was it
the first President Bush? Let me help out by quoting just one stanza of
that song:

> You that fasten all the triggers for the others to fire
> Then you sit back and watch while the death count gets higher
> You hide in your mansions while the young people's blood
> Flows out of their bodies and gets buried in the mud.

It may be I am hopelessly (or hopefully) naive, but I am quite certain
Dylan would enjoy singing the same song before an audience of millions,
right now, as we endure the second Gulf War and the second President
Bush.

Perhaps, Richard, you missed "Neighborhood Bully." I reckon Dan
Lusthaus knows that one. It may be that most folks don't get the
layered irony of "Most of the Time." I believe the Buddha would have,
and would have enjoyed it--as Dylan surely intended--as an index of the
anicca of relationships. I could go on, but I hope you reconsider
having written off Mr. Zimmerman in 1967. It's been some time since
then and he's grown a stitch or two. Hey, I don't like "Blonde on
Blonde," either, but that doesn't mean I don't see some real wisdom in
what came after. "Blood on the Tracks," "Infidels," and "Time Out of
Mind," to name just three of many albums, lay out the reality of the
good ol' USA and we who live in it in some deeply moving music--or so
it seems to me. Have we not all published a clunker, at least once? Did
you give up on the poor fellow after one bad album? (One which, I
should add, for the record, though I strongly disagree, many critics
call brilliant.)

We all seem to agree that Dylan is a poet. We don't, I think, all agree
on what poetry is or does. Richard wrote,

> The vast majority of poets have no idea what they are saying. If even
> they cannot understand their words, how can anyone else? And why waste
> the time trying to make sense of nonsense?

I trust Richard is intentionally provoking us, here, and knows It is
not the job of a poet to know exactly what he or she is saying. It is
the job of a poet to make powerful utterances that shape language into
beauty. Great poets manage also to know what they are saying and to say
what they know as they accomplish their primary task, but, in my view,
this ability is secondary. W.H. Auden (who could do all the above) once
wrote (in "In Memory of W. B. Yeats"),

    For poetry makes nothing happen: it survives
    In the valley of its making where executives
    Would never want to tamper...

Richard's logocentric rhetorical questions suggest that Auden is right
that executives of logic would not and perhaps should not want to
tamper with poetry. A person who seriously asks of poetry, "why waste
the time trying to make sense" of it, makes a kind of category error,
treating poetry as argument. Poetry is seldom argument but by
happenstance. Sure, for example, Wilfred Owen's "Dulce et Decorum Est"
has an argument, but the power of that argument comes from its art. The
argument is simple, even hackneyed; yet that argument has moved
millions because of its sound, its imagery, and its form. And that is
the exception, in my reading. The rule is that poetry evokes rather
than defines, moves rather than convinces.

But I belabor the obvious. We all know all this, Richard included. We
agree that Dylan was a smart social observer; some of us think he
continues to be. But to listen to Dylan to keep up on the cutting edge
of political critique is a misuse of our valuable time. It always was.
Listen to Dylan because he moves you musically, or don't listen at all.

Cheers,

Franz Metcalf