[Buddha-l] Nirvana

Joy Vriens joy.vriens at nerim.net
Thu Sep 29 01:03:01 MDT 2005

Hoi Erik,

> I heard a talk the other day which Gombrich gave during a Buddhist
> summerschool in England a few years ago. There he states that the Buddha
> took many Brahmanic concepts and used them and turned them around to
> explain his own way to nirvaa.na.

I have the impression that many Brahmanic concepts had already changed
by speculation, started in the Brahmanas, and through contact with the
non-Vedic/non-Brahmanic population. Brahmanism had already started the
incorporation and digestion of "new"/indigenous ideas. There also were
common beliefs and practices shared by ascetics of all boards. I don't
know how clear it is who exactly turned what around. There also is the
bringing-in of sophistry/scepticism and therefore theory building by
Sariputta and Moggallana which must have played a crucial role in the
forging of Buddhism. So saying that the Buddha took many Brahmanic
concepts and turned them around to explain his own way to nirvaa.na
sounds like a bit of a shorthand to me.

> I'm convinced Gombrich is wrong at
> least in some of his examples. According to Gombrich the Buddha changed
> the content of the concept of karma and of the Brahmaworld and of what a
> true brahmin is.

According to Sénart and LVP that was already happening when the Buddha
arrived, including in Brahmanism.

> But if you look at the upani.sads, even the B.rhad
> ara.nyaka (the oldest one) you see that all these concepts where already
> floating and changing at the time (i.e. 800 B.C.). So I suspect that the
> Buddha was much closer to upani.sadic circles then later buddhist would
> like to admit.

Yes. "By good deeds one becomes good, by bad deeds bad." (B.rhad
ara.nyaka B.,III, 2,13) and the deeds already depended on desire.
I also think that there was much less compartmentalization at that time
and that the identity-angst dates from later times, when the notion of
misrepresenting the Buddha etc. came en vogue.

Joy