[Buddha-l] Oak and the Tribe of the Buddha

Gregory Bungo gbungo at earthlink.net
Tue Sep 27 20:52:06 MDT 2005

Dear list members,

Here's a quotation from the new book _Oak:  The Frame
of Civilization_, by William Bryant Logan, Norton, 2005,
page 24:

'The name of the historic Buddha, Shakyamuni, means
"the sage of the oak tree people".'

This surprised me, and I haven't been able to find any
corroboration on the internet or in my library.  I'm not
an expert on Pali or Sanskrit, so I can't judge the
accuracy of this statement.  The book is not a scholarly
volume, so there aren't footnotes  -- otherwise I'd just
look at his references and I might have my answer already.

Was the Shakya tribe/clan really named after oak trees?

Sincerely,

Greg Bungo