[Buddha-l] Canonical conundrums

Shantavira shantavira at windhorsepublications.com
Thu Sep 22 07:24:41 MDT 2005

Hello. Can anyone out there tell me EXACTLY where in the Pali Canon the
Buddha says anything to this effect? I have already spent several hours
searching both online and in the texts, so this is my last resort. Any
assistance would be much appreciated.

(1) Deer are safe as long as they feed high in the mountains, but when they
come down to the fields to nibble the crops, they are liable to be shot. In
the same way, if monks stray from their ancestral grazing grounds, the
pastures of meditation and the solitary life - if they start nibbling at the
fringes of worldly life - then Mara is likely to take a pot-shot at them.

(2) Monks, we are khattiyas, warriors. Why are we warriors? We are warriors
because we fight to observe the ethical precepts; we fight for
concentration, to overcome the hindrances, in meditation; we fight to
overcome ignorance and attain wisdom.

(3) He who follows me step by step, grasping the edge of my robe, but does
not follow my teaching, is far away from me; one who lives a long way from
me but follows me teaching lives in my very presence.

(4) Monks should avoid living near a frontier, because of the border
disputes that make such regions dangerous and disturbing. (Supposedly in the
Vinaya)

Many thanks
Shantavira